Thursday, April 23, 2009

Endoscopy results are in

One good and one not so good. It's weird...I think I feel worse this way than if they were both bad. It creates a whole new set of problems that I didn't think about.

Kaleigh was surprisingly the good one....0-few eos everywhere...nothing increased, mild gastritis (which she's always had and the GI said was very common and not that big of a deal). She's the one who has been so sick...so maybe it's not EE related???

Tanner's was strange. He had 19 eos in his mid, but only 1 in proximal and 1 in distal. Confused I could see the higher number being at either end, but not in the middle...unless, it's because it's patchy and the dr. just happened to get the right spot (in the middle anyways). Not only has Tanner NOT had symptoms, but he has also gained about 10 (much needed) pounds since starting peanut in November, and actually he gained it all in the first two months or so. I think it took him the last 5 years to put on that much weight, so this was HUGE for us and him (dr. talked about tubing him at his November visit if he didn't start gaining).

So....we will not be adding wheat right now for him. Since he has been doing so well AND gaining weight AND peanut is his absolute favorite food in the world AND since we are fairly confident that environment is playing it's part AND since all his other numbers were really low and the one in his mid wasn't super high, we will keep both egg and peanut for right now. The dr. wants to keep him on the same diet and rescope down the road before adding anything else in. This should give us more information regarding the environmental component as well and be 100% positive before we remove our favorite food in every sense of the word.

So here's the problem....Kaleigh REALLY REALLY wants wheat. *I* think it'll be really hard (especially from a cooking/baking standpoint) for *me* to have one on wheat and one not. Granted, there are some things that she'd be able to have that are easier, but I do not want to make any more meals than I'm already making. I don't want Kaleigh resenting Tanner because of this. It's *my* decision. He can't help it. Not easy for a 10 year who LOVES AND MISSES food to understand.

Since Kaleigh failed egg (we think) last year, I am going to retry this with her again (if she's willing), especially now that her scope was clean and she's been healthy for a few weeks. I'm hoping I can convince her that she can get a lot of good stuff from *just* egg, but I know she had her mind set on wheat. By doing this though, it would put both of them back on the exact same diet (which, selfishly, would be HUGE for me).

I may change my mind, but this is where we stand right now. I still need to talk to the kids after school.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully Tanner's issues are more environment related. I know he would be very, very sad to lose peanut butter again!

    What does Kaleigh miss the most that makes her want wheat so bad? bread? pasta?

    ReplyDelete